Pinched Nerve Treatment
If upon completion of a comprehensive medical history and diagnostic testing our doctors determine that conservative management of the bulging disc in your neck is an appropriate course of initial care you can expect the following:
- Initially treatment will focus on the reduction of pain and inflammation. We will provide you with an informed choice of treatment options and involve you in the decision making process when devising a trial course of care.
- Forms of treatment we utilize during this phase of care are: ice, electrical stimulation to reduce muscle pain and spasm, postural/ergonomic training and education, manual traction of the cervical spine (a.k.a. neck) and if necessary mechanical traction
- Spinal Manipulative therapy is not warranted during this phase of care.
|Cervical Herniated Disc Symptoms and Treatment Options|
- During this phase we focus on restoring range of motion and flexibility to the neck and muscles of the shoulder. We begin with gentle tension and loading that result in no lasting pain with the eventual goal of returning you to normal loading and tension.
- Forms of treatment utilized during this phase are myofascial release, Active Isolated and Post Isometric stretching, passive mobilization of the spine, and active-assisted exercises that as symptoms dissipate progress to active range of motion exercises.
- Throughout this phase you will be taught how to perform the stretches and exercises on your own so that they can be used throughout daily life to prevent reoccurrence of radiculopathy.
- During this phase we focus on increasing the strength and flexibility of the scar tissue that has formed via specific resistance training and progressively increasing normal usage of the injured area. The goal of this phase is the avoidance of scar tissue contracture which can lead to chronic pain, limited function, and weak tissue that is prone to further injury.
- Management emphasis during this phase is the stretching of the tissues along the anterior aspect (front) of the neck and shoulder while the tissues along the posterior aspect (back) of the neck and shoulder are strengthened. Forms of treatment utilized are myofascial release, Active Isolated Stretching, spinal mobilization and/or manipulation, cervical stabilization exercise, and isotonic resistance exercise.
The doctors at Life in Motion Chiropractic and Wellness are the facilitators of care; we are here to teach YOU how to stay out of our office. You can overcome your neck pain and related symptoms and our Primary Spine Practitioners are here to empower you with that ability.
However, not every patient will respond favorably to conservative management and if progressive improvement is not exhibited after a 6-8 week course of care, patients are then referred for a surgical consultation.
Call our chiropractors today to learn how to once again live your life by your most deeply held ideals and values without being hampered by a nagging pain in your neck!
|Learn about the safety of neck cracking ☜ HERE|